Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Thoughts about today


I am heartbroken and saddened

It is a sad day today. 
My thoughts and prayers go out to all in Boston
The pictures and video of this act of terror were just horrific.
Watching the news was so depressing and the phrase “man’s inhumanity to man” came to mind.  So I looked it up and there were a few quotes using that phrase that stuck out to me. 
“Man’s inhumanity to his brother is Our greatest sorrow.” Our Lady. 

“Man’s inhumanity to man shows only the weakness of the soul.”  Unknown
I would have to agree with these people.  It is just terrible and sickening what the terrorists did today.  I can't even comprehend how twisted their minds are.  It is horrific.  


Earlier, I had been on FB chatting and sharing jokes with a friend.  Then the news about Boston started showing up on my feed and those jokes weren’t funny anymore.  As I thought about this, I remembered something the prophet, President Monson had said, 
When compared to eternal verities, most of the questions and concerns of daily living are really rather trivial. What should we have for dinner? What color should we paint the living room? Should we sign Johnny up for soccer? These questions and countless others like them lose their significance when times of crisis arise, when loved ones are hurt or injured, when sickness enters the house of good health, when life’s candle dims and darkness threatens. Our thoughts become focused, and we are easily able to determine what is really important and what is merely trivial. “  The race of life. (april 2012 general conference)    

It saddened me that time wouldn't stand still very long.  I had an ever growing stack of laundry to fold, dinner to make, but I knew for so many people, that today marked the day that their lives would never be the same.  And that just breaks my heart.  

I was also reminded that while there is much evil in the world, there is greater good and it will never be overcome. 

I think many of us are asking tonight, Why do bad things happen to good people?  I know I was.  And as I share this quote, it is in no way to diminish the grief and suffering that we and especially those in Boston are experiencing.  But this helped me as I asked myself that exact question.

"If joy and peace and rewards were instantaneously given the doer of good, there could be no evil–all would do good but not because of the rightness of doing good. There would be no test of strength, no development of character, no growth of powers, no free agency, only satanic controls...Should all prayers be immediately answered according to our selfish desires and our limited understanding, then there would be little or no suffering, sorrow, disappointment, or even death, and if these were not, there would also be no joy, success, resurrection, nor eternal life” (Spencer W. Kimball, Faith Proceeds the Miracle, [1972], 97).

Even though I think that is true, today I wish it wasn’t.  I wish the heartache and suffering that occurred hadn’t.  I wish we could stop this madness from happening.  I wish the phrase “man’s inhumanity to man” wasn't a part of our vernacular.  

As I go to be tonight I pray for peace.  I pray for the people whose lives will never be the same.  Those who have lost loved ones, or whose bodies have been maimed, or who will have nightmares about what they saw and experienced.  I pray that someday soon good will overcome evil.  I pray that we can be kind and forgiving to one another and remember what is truly important.  I pray that we can remember the Savior Jesus Christ and all that He suffered all for all so that we can know that someone understands the pain and heartache we go through.  I pray for faith to remember that God has not forgotten us and that He will bless and help us.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by