Thursday, January 30, 2014

The drive home


Jacob and I had a fun day at a museum downtown and on our way home we had a fun conversation.  We talked about cousins and family and being a daddy.  (I just use the first letters of the names of his cousins.)   

J (Jacob): Is B my cousin? 
Me: Yes
J: And C and K?
Me: Yes
J: Are they my friends?
Me: Y

A minute passes

J: Can we talk about my cousins again?  Who are my cousins?
Me: I list off all of his cousins: B, C, K, B, T, M, K,C,

J: Who is C?
Me: He is your cousin.
J: Where does he live?
Me: California
J: Oh
Me: You have a few more cousins, N, & I.

He repeats their names

Me: You also have a cousin E
J: E is my cousin
Me: Yes, and L
J: L? is Carolyn my cousin (his friend Carolyn has a brother with the same name as his cousin)
Me: No, that is your friend and neighbor, you have a cousin L who lives in California
J: Oh, is that Henry’s L? 
Me: No,that is a different L. 
J: Oh, cousin L is a different L?
Me: Yes. 
J: Oh.
Me: And you have a cousin T

J: Are my cousins my friends?
Me: Yes, And A is your cousin
J: Oh, A is my cousin. Is S (A’s mom) my cousin?
Me: No, she is your aunt
J: Is she my friend?
Me: Yes
J: Is Grandma my cousin?
Me: No, Grandma is your grandma
J: Is she my friend?
Me: Yes, your Grandma is your friend
J: Is my Grandpa my friend?
Me: Yes
J: Is my great grandpa my friend?
Me: Yes.
J: He’s a good guy
I laugh.  Me: Yes he is.

J: Can we talk about my cousins again?
Me: Sure, why not. 

And on it goes. He lists their names, stops when one is similar to a friend of his and figures out if it is his cousin or not.  Talks about where each one of them lives, etc.  If only I could capture his cute little voice rattling all of it off.  It is just awesome.

Next little conversation:

J: Are we going home?
Me: Yes.
J: When I get home I will be a daddy
Me: Ok, what will you do as a daddy?
J: I will get married. 
Me: Then what will you do?
J: I will work and hmmm I will go to a meeting. I will go to a class and exercise. I will cook food. I will buy food. I will be a daddy
Me:I just smile and laugh

I loved talking with Jacob on our drive home today.  He makes me laugh.  I love seeing the world and life through his eyes.  It is so simple to him.  Cousins are friends and friends are friends.  And Jacob wants to be a daddy.  I have no words of wisdom to add to what Jacob said.  All I can do is smile.  Jacob is a special boy and brings so much happiness to my life.

 Jacob at the museum.  I also love the massive pile of coats behind him.  There were lots of school groups with us on this cold day.  Hope nobody lost their coat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by